Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How to Fix Broken Christmas Decorations

The manufacturers said I need to try replacing the AC adapters. The only problem is that the AC adapters are soooo specific to each product that you cannot find them at any local stores.

For example, the Reindeer Corral below requires a 4.5 Volt adapter. No problem. But it has to be 930 miliamps. I don't quite understand the whole miliamp thing, but I do know that if I don't get the correct miliamp adapter, I run the risk of burning up the motor. Nice, huh? I have about six of these type of items. Oh, and these are not the cheapy one-season use type items. They should last several years. Oh well. I guess I'm off to buy new AC adapters.

So, I guess I'm a bit more frustrated than I might normally be because I sent a very pleasant email to the largest manufacturer of these type of decorations. I asked them what I should do about a few items which have stopped working (ie the motor burned out and the motor compartment is sonically welded shut). Keep in mind, we take very good care of our Christmas stuff. Here's the response:

Dear Danielle,

Thank you for your interest in the __ Collection. The scenario regarding your ___ items is very unfortunate. Unfortunately, there is no implied warranty on novelty items. Generally speaking, products cannot be fixed. ___ products are manufactured in China and there is no one in the USA that has the expertise to fix the products. ___ company policy regarding unsatisfactory merchandise is to have that merchandise returned to the place of purchase for a refund or exchange. In cases where retailers cannot accommodate the consumer, ___ attempts to assist as much as possible. If the item cannot be returned to the place of purchase for a refund of exchange, we would suggest you send the defective items back to ___ for replacement. ___ does not sell on a retail basis and as a result we do not stock merchandise.

Any replacement is based on the availability of the item. ___ must receive the defective item back. Shipping costs both ways and successful delivery of the defective item to __ is the responsibility of the consumer. The return replacement process may take 90-110 days from the date the item is received at __. Finally, there is a required check or money order for shipping and handling in the amount of $10.00 if the item was purchased over a year ago, was a display item or there is more than one item being returned. If you are interested in the return process, please contact ___.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Team

Posted by Picasa

No comments: