Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Bus and a Roast

The standing rib roast at Publix is half price right now. The cuts of meat are good, so I've bought a few over the past week. Here's my first practice. It turned out great, but I will adjust the recipe (at the bottom) for Christmas dinner.

John likes his prime rib rare to med-rare. This one turned out med-rare.

Here's the second load of toys that I took to the fairgrounds this weekend for the kids at Toys For Tots.


Here's the bus that showed up last Friday when the rain made our lights turn off. It really was a rare sight to see a huge bus in our little neighborhood. We scrambled to turn on all the lights, but 4 of 6 boxes would not work. The visitors still came inside to check out the inside and the garage, so I think they were happy anyway :)




Standing Rib Roast (Prime Rib)
5 lb roast (bone in, not tied)
4 packs baby portabella mushrooms
1 cup low sodium beef broth
Montreal Steak Seasoning

Directions
Allow roast to rest at room temp for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 500. Add broth and shrooms to deep baking dish. Generously season all sides of roast with seasoning. Cook roast 60 mins then turn oven off and keep door closed. Allow roast to remain in oven for 5 mins per pound (5x5=25).

NOTE:
Next time I make this roast, I am going to trust my internal thermometer. I will do 45 mins instead of 60 mins and I will take the roast out of the oven when the internal temp is 120...which may be less than the calculated 5 mins per pound.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: